Monday, August 1, 2011

Enumclaw games

Saturday I was drafted to work the Torchlight parade.  I only post it here because the Seattle Fire Pipes and Drums marched in it.  While the skirl of their pipes was heard way in advance of their presence, they didn't actually play while passing my post.  A bit disappointing.  Nevertheless, I couldn't help thinking that if things go right, we'll be marching in the parade as well next year.

Yesterday I was able to get away for a few hours and scoot on down to the Enumclaw Highland Games.  These are the biggest games of the region and are almost like an frontier-style "Rendezvous" for all things Scottish.  (And Renaissance Pirates apparently.  Don't ask, because I don't get it either.)

The important thing was I got to see my piping idol, Aaron Shaw of The Wicked Tinkers.

Aaron getting out with the crowd

They started out with Amazing Grace which was perfect, because I know the fingering on that and was able to follow what he did.
That segued into Scotland the Brave and then straight in to Black Bear, which I love.

I don't know what his reputation is amongst other pipers, but I always enjoy seeing him.  Watching his finger-work was really impressive.  He's very fast and very smooth.  I couldn't follow even half the grace notes he was playing.  Plus he does this very cool slide from one note to the next.  Yes, I'm sure in the future I'll find that it's some sort of common technique and not that impressive to most pipers, but right here - right now - it seems pretty damn impressive to me.

He played with two sets of bagpipes.  Both were linked to the speakers.  (Who'd have thought that bagpipes needed to be amplified?)

But the second set was linked to a wah-wah pedal.  VERY cool sounds from that one.  For one set he ran it through some sort of effect which really made them sound more like small pipes than the Great Highland Bagpipes.

My regret was that I wasn't able to stay longer and see the next set.

Afterward I wandered around to where the bands were practicing.  I'd wanted to see Simon Frasier University playing, but they weren't doing much of anything while I was there.
I did get to see Dowco Triumph Street Pipe band practicing.
Pipe Major David Hilder was giving the group what for on one of their pieces, stabbing the air with his finger and shouting "Tah, dah BURL! Tah, dah BURL!"  It was my first glimpse of what the Pipe Major actually does.

No comments:

Post a Comment